How to Repair Car Dents and Scratches
If your vehicle has small dents or scratches, you can easily take care of both things right at home. With just a few simple tools, your vehicle can be back in pristine condition in no time. Allen Samuels Auto Group is happy to share how to repair dents and scratches effectively. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
DIY Fixes for Scratches
If you would prefer to take care of small scratches on your own, rather than bringing your vehicle to a service center, the following steps should help remove scratches from the exterior.
- Sandpaper – Shallow surface scratches can be removed by simply cleaning the area and rubbing over it with 2000-grit wet sandpaper. Apply a rubbing compound once the scratch is no longer visible.
- Candle wax – This quick fix will not permanently repair scratches, but it can be a temporary solution. Gently rub the wax over the cleaned area to seal the scratch.
- Super glue – If you prefer to use super glue rather than candle wax, it can also be a temporary fix for surface scratches.
DIY Fixes for Dents
Small dents are also easy to fix at home. Any of the following methods should do the trick:
- Plunger – Whether it’s the plunger from your bathroom or a car dent plunger, using this tool can pop the dent out with several attempts at leveling the dent out.
- Hammer or Mallet – Using one of these on the opposite side of the dent can help knock the spot back into place. For smaller dents, you will want to use the hammer. For larger dents, the mallet is the best option. You do not want to do any further damage to your vehicle, so use a towel or blanket to prevent more dents and scratches from the hammer or mallet.
- Dent puller – This method should only be used if you have experience fixing a dent this way. That is because you have to drill a hole into the dent, lace wire through the hole and pull the dent to the surface. The hole will need to be patched, sanded, then painted.
Turn to the Experts at Allen Samuels Auto Group
If your vehicle is in need of more serious repairs than the methods above can fix, turn to the experts at Allen Samuels Auto Group. Schedule an appointment, and our highly-skilled team of technicians can get your vehicle looking like new again. Contact us today for more information about fixing dents, how to check tire tread depth, or how long does an oil change take.